Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Most Awesome Thanksgiving Ever!!

I have lived in America all my life and I have never had a better Thanksgiving then the one I had in France this year. My friend David went to America last year and he absolutely loves the states. Sometime last month David asked me what I was going to do for Thanksgiving. I said something along the lines of I am not really sure and then very excitedly he suggested that I cook Thanksgiving. I agreed to cook if he came to help, so Friday night David came over around seven and we went with my host mother to go and buy ingredients. We got back to my house and started eating dinner. Ayan showed up in the middle of dinner and started eating with us too. After dinner we began to cook. I believe we started with the carrot cake, but we cooked so many things that I am not sure. While the carrot cake was baking we made the Strawberry jello Salad. They don't have Jello in France, but luckily I had 2 packs of cherry jello saved in my room. The Strawberry Jello Salad recipe reads as follows, disolve jello in boiling water mix pineapple and bananas, refrigerate one half of mix until congealed, add sour cream and other have of mix and cool overnight. Well I messed up and add the sourcream to the jello and what not before refrigerating, it didnt congeal in the fridge so we put in a special kind of gelatin mix and stuck them in the freezer 3 hours before our meal. The taste was fine so everyone liked it and wanted more. After the jello salad was in the fridge we started making the corn bread. I forgot to write cornmeal on the list of grocceries but it was ok because luckily my host mother had some. The cornbread came out great too and everyone ate it and wanted the recipe. We took a break after the cornbread was made. Ayan and I watched Pride and Prejudice a bit while David and my host dad played a game. After our break we started making the stuffing. Which also came out great. I never liked stuffing back home, but the stuffing we made here had so much flavor and was the perfect texture. It was really awesome. Our turkey weighed close to 10 kilos which is over 20 pounds. My host dad calculated that it would take more than 6 hours to cook so Friday night David and I seasoned the bird and rinsed it. David was so funny he wanted to remove its insides. At one point during our cooking session Ayan and I discovered a lemon with mold on the side. I told David I would give him 1 American dollar if he licked the mold. He did. When he licked it all this green powder came off the side and flew into the air. David almost vomitted, or so he said. It was so funny, I was busting up laughing. We didnt go to sleep until about 2 30 that night.

The next morning I got up at six. I soaked to cheesecloths in butter then draped them over the turkey. I put the turkey in the oven and did some dishes while I waited for my host mother to wake up. When Anne got up we basted the bird with the butter that had collected at the bottom of the pan. We put tin foil over the top of the turkey and she let me go back to sleep for a bit. When I got up the next time I took a shower and changed for the day. When I came down stairs Ayan and Anne had started the apple sauce. Next David and I prepared the salad while Ayan was in the shower. Then Gilles and I went to the store to purchase some of the things we had forgotten yesterday.. When we got home Ayan and Anne were making the mashed potatoes.. Oh yeah we had to do so much improvising it is ridiculous. We litterally made butter milk and cream cheese. France does NOT have the same grocery stores as the US there is a LOT less selection of products and a LOT less variety. Gaspard came over around 11 to help us bake the cheese cake and pumpkin pie. We started setting up tables just a little bit before the doorbell rang and the first group of guests started showing up. Everyone commented on how good the house smelled. We set up two huge tables in the living room. We had place for all of the 17 of us. It was so awesome. Once Zoe and Jade showed up we started eating the salad. Shortly after that the turkey was finished. We put the pumpkin pie and Cheese cake in the oven and quickly cooked the green beans and corn. After we had finished the meal and were waiting for desert we went around the table and everyone said what they were thankful for, however, I dont think the others really understood what to do because everyone ended up thanking me and telling me the food was great. That made me embarrassed. I said I was thankful to be in france and was thankful everyone came. We then ate desert. All in all we had turkey, stuffing, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, salad, jello salad, carrot cake, pumpkin pie, and cheese cake for thanksgiving.

After the meal we were getting ready to go out and play football. I was asking my friend if Florent if he was ready to lose and he looked down at me and asked me the same. I said "Je ne crois pas" with a real attitude and we both started laughing. We tossed around the football a while then came inside. We all talked as our guests slowly left. Zoe and Jade spent the night and we were up until midnight talking. I was very physically exhausted, but very happy. Thanksgiving was a real sucess.

2 comments:

Wayne in Gardner said...

Sounds great!

We found mold on our apple pie (restaurant-made). I didn't lick it though.

I'm glad you had fun. How popular is American football in France?

Ttrinity said...

So cool that you did the T-day food for the folks in France. The mold? Ugh. (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...and I would have asked for WAY more money!)