Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Week at school before vacation/ Vacation

My week at school before vacation was pretty hectic. Wednesday I made about 100 cookies or more, half were chocolatechip and the other half were sugar, for my English class on Thursday. Thursday I presented in English how my school in America functions. Everyone loved my cookies and a few students said they were taking the plane back home with me. My classmates who were a little cold at first are now really accepting of me and talk to me a lot more. Friday night Paige came home with me to celebrate Christmas North American style. We watched Elf and ate some candy. Saturday morning Paige, Ayan, and I set out on our mission to find the elusive KFC which was rumored to be somewhere on the outskirts of Grenoble. Paige and I got to Grenoble about 3 hours before Ayan so we ate some McDonald's and shopped. When Ayan got to Grenoble Paige and I had already visited the information center where they told us how to find KFC and which bus to take. We took a tram and bus to get there. When we got there we ordered a huge bucket of chicken and I ordered a corn on the cob. It was absolutely delicious. Saturday night Paige stayed at my house again and she made a pizza in the shape of a heart.
Monday morning we got in the car and drove down to Grandma's. Grandma lives in the south of France in the ville called Orange. It was really pretty there and it was a little bit warmer than our home in St. Vincent. The south of France is flatter and they have sun rises and sunsets there. Seeing the sunset made me a little bit sad because I started to think of Kansas. Grandma was really nice and our first night at Grandma's we ate hagas because Olivier brought it back for Scotland. He also brought back cheddar cheese. They don't have cheddar in France so I was really happy he brought some. Monday we went to Avignon to see the city and the bridge there. We also went to the Christmas Market there and I rode on a Carosel. Wednesday we went to the French foreign legion because all of the soldiers had worked to create nativity scenes. They were all war related and it was kinda weird. We had a big family dinner where we ate duck and foie gras. After dinner we went to church. When mass was finished we came home and exchanged gifts. Olivier got me a really cool shirt from Scotland. Grandma got me a cicada that makes noise when you open its box. Anne and Gilles got me a cookbook and my aunt and uncle got me a recipe organizer and a book of idioms. I had a really good Christmas.
We left Grandma's house on the 26th and spent the night at home. The morning of the 27th we parted for Paris. We left the house at 5:15. We went to a big family reunion for Gilles' side of the family. The 28th we met up with some friends of Gilles, had Pizza Hut, and went to the Louvre. At the Louvre I wanted to see the tableau where Napoleon crowns his wife and Olivier wanted to see the Egyptian artifacts. It was fun going to the Louvre with Olivier because he knew quite a bit about the paintings and told me interesting things. After the Louvre we went to a cafe. When we finished our drinks we set out to find the Bateau Mouche. The Bateau Mouche is a famous boat ride down the river Seine. Paris was really gorgeous at night. I like the trip a lot. On Monday we went to a theater. When we got there I noticed how small it was and prayed it wasn't the kind of theater that requested the audience's participation. The play was by Moliere and was called ------- . The main actor was an old man who was a miser. He ended up kissing me twice. It was pretty funny. That afternoon we went to Notre Dame and then to Anne's brother's house where we ate oyster, smoked salmon, and quiche. It was pretty good and I had never had oyster before. On the 30th we went to the catacombs and shopped. We then took the train back to St. Vincent.
I have had a pretty good vacation so far and still have about 5 days left of it.
A la prochaine
Gros bisouxXx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool update. Sounds like France is awesome...

In other news, Molly and I are having a baby. It's kind of a big deal.

Blessings,
Ben

Rodrigo said...

Hey.. you havent updated here... i am waiting!!!
love,
your papi