Monday, September 1, 2008

Mermaids/Dinners/Mountains

Dinner with the elderly is not always fun unless there is a mermaid involved or the old people are incredibly interesting. Well my first dinner with the rotary was slightly intriguing.. Everyone there, excluding me, was about 50+. I expected all guests at the party to be dressed conservitavely until i saw a women who looked like a mermaid.. She had on a green knee length dress with hot pink straps. She was about 60 and have teal eyelashes and a shell necklace.. When I saw her I could not help but to do a double-take. I hope when I am that old I have her guts.. Oh and I saw my first man in a beret. He was really very funny. When he found out I was american he asked if I like hamburgers and coke. Then when he found I was from Kansas he assumed I lived with indians.. He cracked me up. I found out later he had helped to discover the North pole or South pole.
France is funny in a way because of the rotary I can not drink, but the french rotary was offended that I didn't taste wine. I would have for sure, but my rotary counselor sat next to me and told them all NO wine for the petite american.
Saturday I went with Anne and Gilles to climb a mountain. That was one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life. The descent down is my absolute favorite. The proper way to descend a mountain is to zig-zag back and forth down the trail. I kept imaging juking people in basketball. I really want to take my brother down a mountain because I think he would enjoy it.
That night we had a dinner with our neighbors. They could not believe how easy it was to get guns and how young children learned to shoot. I found out that you can not kill a robber in France unless they are endangering your life. That was so shocking to me. I told them that down south people can get shot at for trespassing. If you kill or injure an intruder they can actually sue YOU. I find that incredibly odd. Oh and the french play a game called grimace where you make strange faces at eachother. This little boy Gregorie who is 4 kept making faces at me. He was so cute. He has blonde hair blue-green eyes and HUGE glasses. His family would like for me to baby-sit for them because he has taken a liking to me.
My host family is very nice. Gilles my host dad is HUGe compared to everyone here. He is maybe 6 3 or a little bit taller. It is so sweet to see him interact with the children. When he greets them he picks them up to kiss them. The kids love that. Anne is very nice too. She is a school teacher for pre schoolers and kids really like her too. My home is very happy here and easy going. Gilles is very smart so I like to talk to him, oh and he is fluent in english..
My french is coming along ok. I am surprised by what I remember from day to day.. To sum things up I am having a great time and experiencing lots of things.
Also I really miss my brother and find it very hard to tell people about him because it makes me feel like crying.. So if you see Danny tell him I love him.

1 comment:

Ttrinity said...

Wow, a mermaid. I wish you had a picture of her. I also hope to have that much moxie in a few decades. :-D

Your host family sounds cool. Do they do a lot of mountain climbing there? Will you do more?

Saw Danny and Deanna drive by today as we left Chapula. They honked/waved. I still can't get used to the blue car. LOL.